Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grateful: Day 8: Fresh Food Market

Today I am grateful for the local fresh food market.
Having this market within half a mile of our apartment means that it is extremely convenient to eat healthy. I usually come to the market twice a week, thanks to Sal's ability to annihilate bananas.

fresh produce at great prices
The prices for produce are unbelievably low, and unlike the USA where its more expensive to eat healthy, the fresh veggies and fruit here are actually cheaper than buying the pre-packaged stuff. Way to go China!

Our favorite find at the market so far has been bok choy. Oh how we love bok choy. Other staples include tomatoes, onions, extra long green beans, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, leeks, and broccoli. There are some vegetables I don't know the name of, and have not yet been brave enough to try.


No one would ever guess a vegetable market lives down this path

Live chickens sold out back
Although I haven't been brave enough to try some of the vegetables, or any meat from the butcher shop located within, we have purchased a chicken and had it slaughtered out back. It was the best chicken we have had here so far.

I wish that the US had more local markets like this one. I feel so lucky to have this one in my neighborhood. I am grateful for it's huge selection, as it has allowed me to make my own baby food, and feed my family well.

No comments:

Post a Comment