Thursday, December 29, 2011

Homemade Holidays: Etched Casserole Dishes

For the ladies in our families, I made etched casserole dishes.

I designed individualized templates with my silhouette SD and let my machine cut them out of contact paper. I then peeled off the template, placed it on the glass, and brushed on etching cream in all the negative spaces.

The directions say to leave it on for 5 minutes, but I learned quickly that 5 minutes wasn't enough---and actually had to re-lay two of the templates ( that's hard to do on a long last name!) and re-etch. Pain in the ass. So, to save yourself the frustration, lay the cream on heavily, and wait 10 minutes before rinsing off the cream. It made a world of difference.

[After 5 minutes, not completely etched]

[After 10 minutes, completely etched]

Easy, and useful..now everyone gets their dishes back after a family get together.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the etching cream I had the same problem when I made my casserole dishes/carriers

    http://www.acraftyb.com/2011/06/casserole-caddy-and-matching-oven-mitt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie, what a fun idea. We too do homemade gifts and I'm going to keep this one on my ticker for future gift giving. So excited for you as the days/weeks grow nearer. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete