Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Thank my lucky stars

I woke up to an email from my sister this morning. At the bottom of her email to me, there was a link.

I clicked it.

And what I saw put me in tears.

The link was to my childhood friend's blog. He and his wife welcomed their son into the world on May 2nd. A few hours later, the baby was lifeflighted to UCLA due to a heart condition discovered shortly after birth by the amazing nurses on duty the night he was born.
He is in surgery as I type.
He's only 6 days old and in his first surgery of what might be many.
Life is so not fair.
I can't stop thinking about the family as I sit here on my sofa, listening to my little guy babble away under his jungle gym.
I do not know much about the diagnosis of the baby ( Tetrology of Fallot with Pulmonic Artesia. ), but I do know that it's going to be a long road ahead for my friend and his wife. My heart goes out to them and all other families dealing with a sick child.
And tonight, I am thanking my lucky stars & hugging Sal extra tight, because having a healthy baby is not something to take for granted.

and a note to baby Shane....Sal says Fight hard, buddy! There's so much fun to have when you get better!

2 comments: