Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jeans fit for a smurf like me



I recently inherited some much needed pants, including a few pairs of jeans from a couple of my close girlfriends. Unfortunately, at 5-foot tall, I have shorter legs than both of them, and I plan on returning some of the pants in the future, so I was looking for a temporary fix, that would allow for me to shorten the hemline, but also let it out later, if need be.

I have always hemmed my own jeans. I have never purchased a pair off the rack that did not need to be drastically altered (at least 3-4 inches on every pair!), and have tried a few different ways of hemming, from the easy hack and sew with navy blue thread ( then I get the raw hem stragglers that i have to cut off every so often when they peek from inside my jean leg), to serging off the raw edges of hacked pants and then using the same seam thread ( orangey brown heavy duty thread) as used in most jeans, to using iron on hem tape inside the pants ( epic fail!). And most of the time, despite my good intentions, they end up just a tad shorter than I wish they would be.

Not too long ago, pinterest had a pin on "No-cut-hemming" for jeans, which I had intended to try some day, but never got around to. I was recently reading one of my BFF's blogs, A crafty B, and she had used the "no-cut-hem" method and posted a step by step tutorial on how to do so..I followed it and like magic, I have the original hems on my borrowed jeans, at just the right length for my smurf-length gams.

[Navy blue thread sewn from the inside right next to original hem, then, excess fabric is folded up into pant leg, and ironed down]

For anyone else in need of a fairly straight-forward hemming technique, easy enough for beginners, check out Liz' "hemming jeans, using the original hem ( no cutting)"tutorial over on her blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment