Friday, August 19, 2011

The big question...

The question of the week seems to be whether we will find out the sex of the baby or not.

The answer has gone from no to yes, to no, to yes...to no..and it's bound to go back and forth a bit more before our next chance to find out. I opted NOT to find out at my most recent ultrasound for a two reasons, one being that it was scheduled during my "not-going-to-find-out" stage and more importantly, NZ wasn't able to attend the appointment with me.

Right now, with just over a week to go until our next ultrasound, I'm still standing on the "not finding out" side of the line, but feel my toes inching towards the other side of the fence. In fact, today, I'm pretty sure I have one foot over the line.

What's the ol man want to do? We've talked about it..and he says we'll just decide when the day comes.What's important is not whether it's a girl or boy, but that it's HEALTHY and NORMAL, more than anything else. Who am I kidding, I want to hear that it's ALIVE. Seriously..every single ultrasound, even if I can see the heartbeat, and the baby moving, I still ask the tech, "Is it alive?"

I'm a planner by nature, and can be a little OCD about things..especially on minute details of things that are really not all that important. So, finding out the sex would probably send me into a shopping frenzy for gender specific clothing & fabrics, since I'm far from being a fan of the whole green and yellow, baby ducks and bears stuff.

My goal for this pregnancy is to buy the least amount of items necessary, and to wait until I'm at least 30 weeks before making any of the must-have purchases ( car seat, etc.) ..Knowing what I am having will challenge me to use self control, which I admittedly only have when it comes to diet and exercise. Other things in life?? NO SELF CONTROL. Sorta backwards from the average person, but I broke the mold, I guess.

Not finding out until birth adds another element of surprise, which sounds cool in theory, but will I drive myself ( and NZ) nuts in the meantime with all of my back and forth, it's- a- boy, it's- a- girl, it's- i- don't- care- what- it- is..because it's a baby! talk? Probably.

See, I'm already driving myself ape$h!t crazy with a decision that doesn't have to be made yet.






6 comments:

  1. Maybe you can bring an envelope and a piece of paper and ask the tech to write it down and seal it up for you guys. That way, when 30 (or whenever) weeks arrives and you feel like you must know you guys can open it and find out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @amyella that would be torture!!! lol! enjoy each end ever day Brie! I love reading your blog! hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a planner too, and the thought of not finding out threw me into freak out mode. I couldn't stand the thought of all the gender neutral colors. All of our big stuff is gender neutral, but I wanted to be able to buy specific pink or blue items.

    In fact, when we were pregnant with Bailey and at our gender u/s appt, they couldn't tell us for definite that she was a girl...I about flipped.

    Cameron was easy to figure out from the beginning. She is very modest most of the time, but is definitely a girl.

    Take it day by day...you'll decide for definite one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ask your sister for her opinion :)
    she use to peek at gifts under the Christmas tree
    Love you sis!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby and I went back and forth about finding out this last time too. It seemed like we were both just saying what the other one wanted was fine, so finally I printed up ten slips of paper for each of us. Five said "find out", the other five said "it will be a surprise". Then we had to decide how we would "vote". We got to choose five pieces paper and put them in a hat. We let our toddler pick from a hat (since he couldn't read there was no chance for cheating) and he pulled out "find out" so we did! It was silly and maybe a little complicated, but the decision was made for us!! :) There is no rush~ you can always find out later! Plus the baby might show you the goods whether you want to see them or not! Those little weiners are hard to miss sometimes! Lol. So happy and excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brie! I used to be a member in DDenn and ATigre’s fitness board, but I rarely posted. I’ve been following your blog for a while and wanted to say Congratulations on your pregnancy, I'm really happy for you both!

    Both the hubby and I personally didn’t find out the gender of our two kiddos when I was pregnant, for two reasons 1) above all, we just wanted to have a healthy baby and 2) the element of surprise. We wanted the doctor to tell us at that moment what we had…. so much sweeter!! My first born was a boy and my second a girl!!

    MariaB

    ReplyDelete