Thursday, October 13, 2011

Closet dividers: tutorial

Last week I mentioned that I had made closet dividers for the boy's closet. What I failed to mention was that my first attempt was a complete and utter disaster. I had purchased these balsa wood door hangars with the idea that my ol man and I cut cut them down, and hang from the closet rod by popping the rod out of the little cups that hold it in on either side..


Note to self: Our closet rods do not pop out as easily as one might think--in fact, they don't pop out at all, because they run through a support board midway through the closet.

Bum deal. Good thing the balsa wood door hangars were only 49 cents each..because they found a home in my craft pile graveyard.

Time to improvise... I ended up using the scrapbook paper I had purchased to cover the balsa wood hangars to make round dividers more like you'd find at a department store.

Here's how:







..slip on your closet rod..and Congrats, you're now as OCD as I am...

and yes, you caught me..I haven't had time to label them with size stickers yet, so through the beauty of picnik photo editing, I added them so you get the gist..

Grand total: $1.00 (bought scrapbook paper at 5 for $1 on sale)

2 comments:

  1. Now I never had dividers but I always hung up the babe's clothes in size order. Now that they are older I organize them from tank tops to short sleeve, long sleeve, skirts, pants, dresses and then of course I do that according to color. Yes my closet is the same. OCD must run in the family! Had I been aware of my ability to be crafty I probably would have done that with their closets too. I love it!

    xoxo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. the question is, are you going to organize them based on what size the label says they are, or what size the outfit really is? :) You'd think they'd have standard sizes for teeny people.

    ReplyDelete