Sunday, March 15, 2009

Who's headlining?

After a month of anticipation, NZ and I finally got to go see Joel McHale of "The Soup" notoriety do a show at the Civic Arts Plaza. "The Soup" is a weekly show, which we rarely miss, although we usually DVR it to catch it..I couldn't tell you which night it aires. I think it may actually be Fridays on E! Entertaintment Channel.

Anyhow, his show last night left us desiring a bit more.

Doors opened at 7:00 for a 7:30 show. They then let us into the building, but not into the auditorium....until 7:20. Everyone hustled to get seated, and then waited until 10 after 8:00 for the show to actually begin. I learned within this 30 minute wait, that the jeans I was wearing were.....not so comfortable..... BAH. I spent half the night with a hand in my pants, pulling the elastic waist from my belly to give myself room.

Joel started off slow, got a bit better, and 3/4 of the way into his comedy routine, I was thinking to myself, his opening act was WAY funnier. He had Chris Porter open the show, and I was almost peeing my pants with laughter from the time he opened his mouth to the time he introduced Joel.

I suppose we didn't know what to expect going into it..Would he use material from his show " The Soup" or would it be original material?? He did a bit of both, his funniest piece was about his father, and a close second was a segment about the demographic of Orange County.

Would I see Joel's comedy routine again?

Probably not.

But I will continue to watch his skinny tie wearing self on E! every week, because they guy does have talent and good one liners about pop culture, he's just not as funny doing stand up comedy on stage.

Chris Porter?

Now, he'd get me to buy a ticket to his show if he ever comes around this neck of the woods again. The guy is fricken' hilarious. Much better than I expected!

One more thing...Who brings their 12 year old kids to a stand up comic show?! It's not like you can change the channel if the topic goes raunchy...I was appalled to see a handful of teeny boppers there with their parents..The show was definitely not rated G, or PG for that matter...C'mon parents...lay down some ground rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment