Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lofthouse bars..a cheater's version

It's a mystery to me how I was able to avoid baking my entire pregnancy, when cravings should have included all things sugary and sweet? I mean, isn't that how they portray it in the movies? The pregnant woman devours a tub of icecream and homebaked chocolate chip cookies in a sitting, just because she can?

What happened to me then?

Unless it was lemony or icy, I had no interest, whatsoever.

..and because of this crazy phenomenon that took over my usual sweet tooth, I did not do my usual baking for the past 9 months.


Now that Sal and I have somewhat established his daytime routine ( watch me jinx myself and have a fussy baby all afternoon now--just for claiming we have a "routine" down) I have some freedom within the confines of our house, I am back to scouring pinterest for sweet treat ideas.

I found a recipe for lofthouse style cookies that looked divine. A soft chewy sugar cookie topped with buttercream frosting and happy little sprinkles.

How could I resist?

But of course, the recipe called for flour--that of which I didn't have enough of --believe it or not...However the chances of Sal and me getting out of the house for a quick trip to the store was highly unlikely. There is no such thing as a quick trip to the market anymore. In fact, I have yet to venture to the market with baby in tow..those trips happen in the evenings once my ol man is home.

So, what's a girl to do when there's not enough flour?

Improvise.

I used a box of Funfetti cake mix that we had sitting in the pantry, along with 2 eggs and 1/3 cup oil to make cookie dough.

..and then Sal woke up...

So, instead of making cute cut out cookie rounds, I improvised again, and spread the sticky dough out onto a jelly roll pan, about 1/4 inch thick.

Baked it at 375 for 20 minutes.

And out came a beautifully golden rectangle of cookie.

Once the cookie cooled, I made C&H sugar's buttercream frosting from the recipe on the back of their powdered sugar box. A half recipe produced plenty of frosting for my lofthouse cookie bars.

I tinted it pink, spread it on thickly, and sprinkled happy little jimmies all over.

Once the frosting set ( about an hour later), I cut them into bars.

..and I must admit...I ate enough lofthouse bars to make up for my lack-of-sweet-tooth while pregnant.

They were totally worth the sugar coma that followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment