Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Keepin it Real

One thing I looked forward to all these years of dreaming about being a mom, was making connections with other moms. I am what some people might call slow to warm, or shy--or if I'm completely misread, stuck up. I often times felt over the course of the past few years, that I didn't fit in with my single friends, yet, I didn't fit in with my mom friends either...I mean, what would I possibly have to talk about with them? I admit, part of my not fitting in with my mom friends was on me..okay, all of it was on me. They were experiencing something I wanted so badly to have myself. I saw it as some sort of super exclusive club, and I didn't have a membership. I'd paid the dues a couple of times, only to have my membership revoked. So, envy kept me from being as good of a friend as I wanted to be.

I got to do something this week, that may seem so silly to others, but it was a big freakin' deal to me.

Are you ready?

Hold your excitement.
...
...
I know it's hard..but try....
...
...

...
...
...
Sal and I...
...
...
...
...

...

...went on our first park date.


It felt as good as I had imagined it would. Being able to join in conversation with my sister-in-law, and newfound friend Rene. The older kids played, the younger ones crawled around, and Sal just sweetly slept as I nudged his stroller back and forth to keep him content. We had bagged lunches, sat and kept it real while we enjoyed the sunny Tuesday weather that Southern California graced us with.

..and I thought to myself...

I'm so happy to be here.

1 comment: