Saturday, September 24, 2011

Gone Batty



I saw a cute framed Halloween project which made use of bat cutouts from a silhouette SD cutter over on Tater Tots and Jello's blog. I have been trying to use my silhouette and get better acquainted with it's capabilities any chance I get. Although I liked the idea of the Specimen Art project, I felt like tweaking it a bit to make it my own ( and use up some leftover craft supplies I am tired of storing).

I found the following Bat outline through a simple google search.
I imported it into my Silhouette library, traced the outlines, and sized them to about 1/3 of an inch by 1 inch, and copy and pasted until I had a full sheets worth of bats to cut out.

I bought a Halloween pack of scrapbook paper from Target's $1 bin, and cut the 12x12 sheets into 8.5x11 to fit through my Silhouette machine.

Then I just cut to my heart's desire.

And ended up with this...

I re-purposed an old styrofoam wreath form by spray painting it with a matte black spray my husband had in the garage (well ventilated, of course, not wanting baby boy to catch a whiff of any fumes, for sure!), let it dry for a few hours, and then got to gluing.



Bat, by bat.

Note: At first I was pinching the bats in the center to make them 3D, and pinning them after I dabbed Modge Podge on their backs, but realized a few pins in, that the pinning was totally unnecessary. So I gave up pinning, and just glued...

and glued..

Until..

I had myself my very own Halloween bat wreath.

For the grand total of:

$1

No comments:

Post a Comment