Sunday, June 19, 2011

letters from Dublin


An e-mail commentary from NZ on his most recent trip to Dublin, Ireland.

DAY ONE:
So I got to Ireland yesterday and it is pretty cool. The weather isn't the best but so far all the people I have met have been really nice.

I have some pictures, and of course commentary, on Dublin. I got onto the plane and the Irish Drinking stereotype was confirmed within about 5 minutes. I noticed that about every 3rd person to get on the plane had been to the duty free store and was carrying 3 to 5 bottles of
liquor.

Further proof came about 10 minutes after leaving the airport. As I was riding the bus through town to my hotel I spotted these two fine young men stumbling down the road, hammered drunk. Mind you it is only about 11:00am.
The one guy was pretty beat up. Looked like he picked a fight with a tougher man last night.
Maybe I shouldn’t be so judgmental? Maybe they were just in a rugby match, where they had gotten concussions that have made them dizzy and that drink is only an energy drink.

Maybe not.


After getting settled in his hotel, he ventured out into town to find some fish and chips....and this is the next email documentary received...

There was a big street fair going on that I walked into on my way down town. A combination Where’s Waldo world record attempt and street performance championship. What a combo.

Thousands of Waldo’s and weird people doing tricks, magic, sword swallowing, tricks with whips, riding tiny bicycles, you get the picture.I am guessing the idea for this even came up over a breakfast cocktail or five.

I went to a couple Irish pubs. Wholly crap, they know how to get down here. Drinking on a level seldom seen in the US, and dancing in every corner of the bar.
I met a bunch of people that were really nice. The moustache is going over really well here.

Especially with the really hammered people.

Every bar I went to was like this. Packed and noisy.
Singing and dancing.
They love “YMCA” here, also Shakira, Lady Gaga, and Rihanna.

-Nick

2 comments:

  1. LMBO! I love this post. I know you had to have been laughin away cause I am over here cracking up! I needed this laugh! Thanks Brie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last weekend a 22 year old Irish lad won the US Open golf tournament here in the states and what was he going to do when he got home? Enjoy a pint with his friends at the Pub.

    ReplyDelete