Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cooking Class in Style



Our neighbor's tween daughter signed up for a cooking course this summer. As a surprise for her first day of class, her mother asked me to whip up an apron. I had free reign on the fabric choice, and wouldn't you know, my sister brought over her "remnants" today, and she had the perfect coordinates for miss A's apron.

miss A is a tad bit shorter and skinnier than I am ( yes, I am 33 years old and stand barely 5' tall) so I had to do a hybrid style of the two apron patterns I had on hand. For the skirt part of her apron, I followed instructions from Prudent Baby's fat Quarter apron, but added about 4 inches in length so that it would tie just under the bust instead of at the waist.

I made the top bib without a pattern, by cutting out a square to cover my bust,
then cutting it to make it a bit narrower and shorter. I also made rounded corners by tracing a CD and cutting around the edge. I edged the bib with small ric-rac before attaching it to the top hem of the skirt (which coordinated with the sash ties).

I made 2 sash ties by cutting out (2) 4"x 24" strips, sewing them and turning them inside out. The neckline ties were made by cutting (2) 2"x 24" strips and foll
owing the same guidelines as before.

And lastly, I added a little chic-style to it by ironing on a felt floral applique to the spot where the bib meets the neck tie..I found a ton of felt appliques on clearance at Joann's last week and snapped them up...25 cents a packet, and about 4-5 flowers came in each. SCORE!

She will be the most stylish little cook this side of the 101..looking forward to her reaction to her mom's sweet surprise!

2 comments:

  1. See, I knew you would find something to do with my scraps..

    Hope Miss A has a great time at cooking class

    xoxo
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out really cute... i know she will love it.

    ReplyDelete