Friday, May 20, 2011

Must make: A frame tent


[photo from Cakies]

One of my college besties sent me a link saying that this project over on Cakies looked like something I would be into making for my super awesome nephews to play in...and boy was she ever right! I have been dreaming of making an A-frame tent similar to this ever since that link showed up in my inbox on Wednesday.

Although it will require me to manage a power drill ( I have a better idea, I'll enlist NZ's help on this one..C'mon it'd be fun to do a project together, right?) and make a trip to Home Depot (What's that she said? "Home Depot?" He's sold...definitely helping me now), I think it will be relatively easy to make. The instructions state that a twin size sheet will work well for the cover, and wouldn't ya know, I don't own a single twin sheet, and to buy the yardage of fabric at Joann's
would be spendy..I'm all for CHEAP projects, not "costs-more-to-make-it-yourself-than-to-buy-it" projects..

I found myself at Marshall's and Ross this week, and perused their housewares sections. Sheets were only sold as sets at Marshall's, and still about $30 for any that I liked for a little boy's tent..Went to Ross expecting to find nothing, and something caught my eye as I was about to leave. I spied little blue, orange and green mod guitars on a white backdrop. But oh man....just my luck, it's a sheet set...bet it's more than I want to spend...

$8.99

Serious? I looked again...

Yep, $8.99, said so on the tag.

To the checkout, we go..me, my sheet set and I.

So, now I am armed with the "cute" part of the project and am anxiously awaiting this weekend to schlep my ol man into Home Depot to help me buy & cut the right lengths of baseboards and dowel rods necessary to make this thing a reality. I think tent building makes a wonderful Friday night activity, don't you? Okay, okay, I'll hold my horses till Saturday, but I am so dang excited about my next project!

And oh yeah--double bonus is that it's a double sheet set, so I have 2 pillowcases and a fitted sheet's worth of extra fabric to play with once the tent is constructed!

1 comment:

  1. maybe you can make a bean bag or "sleeping bag" to go inside of it with the extra fabric

    ReplyDelete