Sunday, November 14, 2010

Iron Me Pretty

I gave my old delapidated ironing board a make-over last night. Believe it or not, I love ironing. I even iron my pillowcases and flat sheets when I have time. The crispness is freshly ironed sheets are to die for. You should try it sometime. You will be hooked too.

It took about 30 minutes, and it was a free project since I was re-purposing some extra fabric from a Kingsize Duvet cover that I cut down a while back. It takes about a yard of cotton fabric to make a cover for a fullsize ironing board.


To make: I removed the rope that was encased and laid the previous ( hello sunflowers..how's that for dating an instyle ironing board?) cover on top of my pressed fabric. I didn't even use chalk to trace, I simply cut around the old cover with 2 inches added. I then removed the old cover and pinned the new cover edges in with a 1 in. seam allowance.I then sewed the 1 inch casing with a zigzag stitch to prevent fraying if I ever decide to wash the cover ( which I probably won't, but just in case) and left an opening of 2 inches at the top end of the board to thread the rope through. Just slip a safety pin on a knot at the end of your rope and ease it through the casing. The next step is easy...just slip the cover on your ironing board ( replace the foam if it is all old and wrinkly) and pull both ends of rope so that the cover cinches around the board. Tie a bow or a not in the end and you're done! Now get to ironing!

No comments:

Post a Comment