Saturday, October 9, 2010

Duvet: Do it your way


I think I have said it before, but I have this obsession with bed linens. I absolutely love how the simple change of a comforter or sheet set can make a dramatic impact on a room. Unfortunately, most of the ones I loooooove come from Anthropologie, West Elm or Pottery Barn. Every so often I catch one on sale and snatch it up--but those days are few and far between.

I went out looking for a new duvet today. I love duvets because you can re-use your same down insert over and over, and the covers come off for easy washing. It's a Win-win situation.

My goal--when I set out this morning, was to find something a with a slight pattern, not too bold--not too bright. The cover we have had on our bed for the past year was also a project of mine, and although I love it...it needs to find a new home, across the hall, in the room with green walls. Surprisingly enough, green walls are hard to match linens with..since the color is overpowering. I'm contemplating repainting, but you see, the green was painted for our baby, and it totally coordinated with the crib set that sits in the closet...So, to keep it green, or to not keep it green...seems to be the question mulling over and over in my head these days.

Anyways, our "old" duvet is bright and fun and really looks good in the green room, so come hell or high water I was going to bring a new duvet home today so I could finally make the switch and feel good about the decor in the spare room again.

After shopping with my sis, mom and step-dad today, I came home empty handed. I was bummed..but not surprised. After a little pep-talk to myself, I made a last ditch effort with a quick trip to Target to look at one of their duvets that looked pretty sweet online. I was less than impressed with it in person though, so on the shelf it stayed. I scoured the sheet sets reminding myself that I could make one...I didn't want to, but I could.

And a $35 Queen size sheet set later...

I did.


You can make one too!!! You'll need:


2 Queen Size sheets ( I used one from the set I bought and one I already had)

Sewing machine with straight stitch capabilities

thread

pins


{Step 1}

1. Lay out sheet (a) right side up. Smooth out fabric.



    {Step 2}

2. Lay sheet (b) right side down on top of sheet(a).



    {Step 3}

3. Pin around the edges of 3 sides. *Tip: keep pins facing the same direction for easy removal.

4. Sew around three sides leaving the fourth open.

5. Remove pins.

6. Turn rightside out.

7. Insert Down insert.

8. Attach velcro to bottom edge if so desired. (I omitted this step today)

And there you have it, a new duvet cover! I like to buy a sheet set, because I use the fitted sheet to cover our boxspring, and the pillow cases on 2 of the 4 pillows. This way everything coordinates a bit better.

1 comment:

  1. perfect!
    I wish I had bought the one I saw. I do have something that would have worked with it.

    ReplyDelete