Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dixie Chicks & me

The Dixie Chicks & me have a long history together. Although we disagree on all things political, I adore their songs. I've had many " OMG this is my FAAA-VOR-ITE song(s)" from the chicks over the years. Some of my best memories are soundtracked by songs like "There's Your Trouble" , "Cowboy Take me Away" and "Some Days you Gotta Dance". They've been there for me in tough times too, with songs like " Hello Mr. Heartache"& " Cold day in July".

And whaddya know, I just found a soundtrack to my " life-as-I've-Known-it-for-the-past-3-years", and it happens to be a Dixie Chicks song, yet again. There is a wonderful non-profit group called Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope ( FOLFOH) that I have blogged about before. It's a meeting ground for many women whose "life-as-they-know-it" is similar to my "life-as-I-know-it" and on that site, there is a list of songs that aim to help moms cope with life on the days when we miss our "should've beens". So the other day was one of those, and I went through the playlist and stumbled upon a submariner song from the Chicks called " So Hard".

Ten seconds into it, and I understood why it was listed. It got me wondering, did the any of the Dixie Chicks experience infant loss or infertility? The song was obviously written from someone who had been there. A quick goo.gle search and I learned that the Maguire sisters were both familar with infertility and miscarriages, and the feelings of jealousy watching bandmate Natalie Maines get pregnant effortlessly. Here's the article from ABC news that I read....and having learned of their struggles, and seeing their beautiful children now, it makes me feel just a tad bit better knowing that none of this stuff discriminates. Rich, poor, thin, fat, intelligent, ignorant, famous, wallflower, black, white, young, old, healthy, unhealthy...it can happen to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment