Saturday, July 31, 2010

Complete 180

Ever since I was a kid, I looooved shopping for cars. My parents seemed to purchase a new one every 3 years or so, and I just thought it was neat to test drive all the newest models. There was a time I reallllly wanted them to get a mini-van (those sliding doors were soooo cool!), but they never gave into my dream of being a mini-van kid. Instead, mom drove an SUV, which was still cool, but it didn't have those sliding doors or a 3rd row seat ,sigh.

My first few cars were trucks. Hand me downs ( if you could call a 5 year old truck with 3,000 miles on it a hand-me-down) from my grandpa. He loved the ol Ford ranger trucks, and both my sis and I inherited a few of them over the years. Grandpa has given me 3 Ford Rangers in my lifetime. All white. He liked white, and he liked Ford.

When I finally reached what I thought to be grown-up status, you know, college graduate, married..that whole bit, I wanted a NEW car. I wanted a Brie car..no more trucks. I really liked the Audi A4's at the time, but they were out of my price range. My husband at the time had a 96 Jetta which I thought was pretty nice, so I went out looking at the new Jetta's one day and lo and behold, I was driving a brand-spankin new one a few days later. Then it broke. Like, shut down, dead stop in the middle of the street shut down. Baby had to be towed with only 200 miles on her. The concensus? The transmission went out. Yes, with 200 miles on it. The reason they gave me? I drove it TOO HARD. WTF?!

After a couple week long battle, and no new transmission, I got a NEW NEW Jetta. I did not want the 1st one back. No way, uh-uh. If it could break with 200 miles on it, then it was a lemon in my eyes. I guess VW finally agreed and replaced my baby.

That first meeting with VW soured me to my little Jetta for quite some time. Add to it being responsible for the car payments after he left me a few months later and being on my own for the first time in my entire life, I hated the car.. It was everything I wanted to leave behind inthe past, but I couldn't. I had to be responsible, find a job, a home and make those payments..And I did it..I was freaked out that my NEW NEW one would be a lemon too, and break down on me, but she didn't. She's been dependable as all get out, aside from some minor details which I think just come with age ( knock on wood). I've sworn all along that I hate VW and never wanted another, but I have recently come around 180 and realized my little Jetta has been great! I have owned this car longer than any other car, ever. It's still zippy and cute..and she has been a trusty companion.

The conversation of a new car has come up recently. It's about time my wheels get upgraded. The question is, what do I want? With no kids in the picture, I can still get away with a sedan..but if we plan ahead to the future with hopes of kids in mind, I tend to lean towards an SUV with a 3rd row seat.

Decisions, decisions. I'm stuck between the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse or Tahoe, and now a sportwagen, VW made....You're probably thinking station wagon???Really? But the VW Jetta and Passat sportwagens look awesome in black with black tinted windows and powdercoated black or dark grey wheels. I saw one yesterday and thought to myself, I'd roll those wheels. Even more appealing, they have a TDI version which Nick says diesels typically last longer & get better mileage per gallon. I'm Sold!
So, this girl did a complete 180 and decided that Volkswagen has been good to me, and I might just be a repeat customer.

Lookin forward to some test drives soon.

6 comments:

  1. If this helps your decision any ... I had a trusty little Toyota Echo that we could not afford to replace when we had Jeffrey. I managed life just fine with a small little car and a baby for TWO years! Just upgraded to a 2010 RAV4 which has been perfect size wise. Haven't really felt the need for more seats. I love the wagons! Perfect whatever life brings you car. Unless it's triplets... Then you might see those sliding doors afterall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. I know from my nanny days that the jetta can hold 2 baby seats comfortably, and I might just want to stay small (= The wagons from VW are within our budget so I can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy car shopping! I loved getting the new cars BUT did not like the shopping and compromising with car salesmen. Bob bought his Jeep through Costco and loved the experience.
    No b_ _ _ s_ _ _ or wheeling dealing. Check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were so in love with mini-van's.. you use to draw pictures of them and give them to granny to hang on her wall. You were a bit obsessed with mini-vans. I was in love with Honda Preludes & Accords. Funny I've never owned one

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lovin' the wagon! Besides, its the original SUV :)

    AND

    I drive a BMW wagon, so there, be like me and enjoy a wagon :) LOL And they are quite chic if I do say so myself! Just saw a new VW wagon and it was SOOOOOO CUTE!!!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the passat wagon but it doesn't come TDI..We'll have to shop around and see what I like better. A TDI Jetta Sportwagen or a Passat Wagen

    ReplyDelete