Friday, July 23, 2010

Cherry affair

I have a love of cherries. My love even got me as far as a pottery barn duvet with a cherry print during my single days. How did I fall in love with them?


Easy.

688 Bianco.

That was my address during Senior year of college.

There were FIVE of us girls living there together. Love them all to this very day.

We had a big house. We had huge closets. We had a washer/dryer. We had an outside fridge. We had a big screen TV ( thanks to the AGR fraternity boys who needed to "store" it somewhere). We had comfy couches and a wonderful location, just a mile from the Grad,which is where we frequently got our boogie on.


We had cherries.

The cherry tree out back was our favorite thing.
Sara & brie "cherry picking from the roof"1999
We'd climb the tree, climb the roof, shake it, swirl it...whatever we could do to get cherries. We pitted them till our hands were dyed purple, if people didn't know better they may think we had some weird disease. We ate them. Lots of them. So many in fact, we made ourselves sick a time or two.

When we moved out, I missed that tree.

Fast forward about 5 years, and I met NZ. One day we're in the backyard and what do I see?
TWO cherry trees. In his yard. It was love at first sight. I climed that tree, picked, pitted and dyed my hands again. Even if the boyfriend decided not to keep me, I thought I might just have to sneak into his yard when he is gone to swipe some cherries! Thankfully, he kept me, and I moved in, so I was no longer stealing cherries. They were MINE again.

Then we moved. Cherry trees don't grow well in Southern CA.

Now days, I get my cherries at VONS, in a cute little clamshell container, which says that they were grown in Washington. Is it too much to ask for my old Davis cherries? $4 a container, and it's hit or miss whether they are any good or not.

I sure do miss homegrown cherries.

8 comments:

  1. I still miss that tree too!!!! Now I substitute Ayse's plum trees, but in a perfect world I'd have one of each and nectarines too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the cherries off the Davis trees. Funny you should write about them cuz that is what I think of when you lived in Davis and I remember picking bags of cherries to share with the Aguirre family. Yum!!!
    Kitty looks so cute and comfy in the cherry duvet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Sara eating pie cherries from a can. This always grossed me out. Guess she'll take cherries in any form?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma'am: Do you climb on Ayse's roof like we used to?
    Jenn:I bet she still does!She is responsible for me learning to eat cold refried beans out of a can. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherries...absolutely love them...in fact, that was the only thing on our shopping list when I made my husband stop at Sam's earlier...a big box of cherries!

    ReplyDelete