Saturday, December 19, 2009

Owl be watching you

While I was out and about during my lunch hour this week, I stopped in at Pier 1 to see if I could find some stocking stuffers. I found em, alright...but I kept going back to a particular ornament. No one needed this ornament, but I HAD to have it. I'd pick it up, look at it, check the price, then put it back. I'd go about browsing items I really SHOULD be buying, and lo and behold, I kept going back to the dang owl ornament. So, after reasoning with myself that I could have it if I wanted it, I bought it.

And you know what? On my way back to work, I got a flash of memory back to April 2009 when I was selecting crib bedding for our baby girl. Pottery Barn had one titled "Brooke" and it was a whimsical design with trees and the sheets that matched had tiny owls. I loved it, but it was back-ordered, so I selected a Beachy themed set from PBkids instead, which I am saving for a future daughter.. I loved the Brooke set though, and I just went on PB kids to get a picture and wouldn't you know, it's on sale now. Go figure. I'm not crazy enough to buy it now, and store 2 sets of crib bedding with no babies in sight, but it is so dang cute!!!
I broke into tears ( what a dork, I know) on my short drive back to the office. Now I know WHY I had to have it. Memories are all I have, and I am glad that they still drive my decision making process when it comes to our baby lost. I don't ever want to forget her, and although I rather have been at Toys-r-us buying her toys to play with for Xmas, my reality is that I'm not able to do so without looking like a complete lunatic. I can, however, buy little things here and there as I think of her, and this ornament totally made my day.

It's the little things that mean so much.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Owl be watching you..just wait... come Thursday you'll see what I mean.

    Love you sissy & can't wait to see you and NZ
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the owl! It's not fair that all we have are our memories, but thank goodness we have those :) Seriously, I love the owl :)

    ReplyDelete