Thursday, August 30, 2012

Clinger

I'm not sure what's going on, but for the last two weeks, I've added abut 16 lbs to my frame.

????

???

In the form of a stage 4 cling-on, named Salvatore.

I've really tried not to consult the baby development websites with articles written by "The experts". I've got a vague idea of what he should be doing developmentally and socially--and try to go by what our pediatrician says more so than the books. Plus, this is what I studied in college. Childhood development was a huge part of my undergrad studies. I better know my shhhht or my dad's gonna come a-knockin' and want his money back.

But when it's your own child, you become an idiot.

For the past two weeks, I've been  asking myself..." Is this a battle for control that we need to nip in the bud now? Is there a physical reason for his extra fussing and clingy-ness? Is this just a stage he will grow out of?"

NZ and I have discussed it, and we both think he could be getting his upper teeth, as his behavior is similar but not exactly like it was when he cut the lowers. He could also be growing. Or....he could be experiencing separation issues---as evidenced by our short date a few weeks ago, in which we returned to a distraught oh-my-gawd-how-could-you-leave-me-don't you-love-me child screaming in Mrs. Georgia's arms.

So--I did it.

I consulted the Internets.

And here's what Babycenter has to say.....

      "If your baby is like most at this age, he's showing signs of separation anxiety. Far from being a    cause for concern, stranger anxiety is a sign of your baby's growing understanding of the world around him...Your baby's reluctance to be separated from you may delight you or just plain frustrate you at times. ...
Immediately, my mind was put at ease.

It doesn't make carrying a 16 lb baby around all day any easier, but it makes me feel better that this is totally normal for some children. I'm hoping that our consistency with schedule will help ease some of this anxiety he has been having ( especially at nap time and bedtime). Anyone have any tips or hints that worked for them during this stage?

Babies, man. They keep you on your toes.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to suggest seperation anxiety which is a healthy milestone, actually! It means that you two have a healthy bond and that he knows that he can trust you therefore only wants you...

    One of the joys of being a mommy :) I would suggest using a baby carrier around the house so that you can still get stuff done and your hands will be free. If you do need to leave him with someone that I suggest not dragging out the goodbye process. A quick kiss goodbye and don't look back. I've had to do that several times and have always been told that he was fine 5-10 minutes later. It's tough and your mommy heart will hurt but they will eventually work their way through this phase...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete