Saturday, December 11, 2010

DIY-Silver polish


I have a champagne bucket that was given to me a long while ago, from the same cousin that sent us the recent bottle of wine from their vineyard. It's one of those items that rarely gets used, but I'm happy to have in my artillery of entertaining devices. I pulled it out of storage today in hopes of repurposing it as a beautiful pointesettia holder. I planned on putting a piece of floral block in the bottom (for height), and placing a pre-potted pointesttia in the bucket.

Unfortunately, when I pulled it out of it's storage place, I found that it has seen better days.

A quick goo.gle search for DIY silver polish and I was off to the kitchen pantry to concoct my own polish. I figured it was worth a try, even if it didn't work, at least I tried!



Here's the recipe I used:
  • 1/2 cup baking soda

  • 1/4 cup salt

  • 2 sheets of tin foil
  • sponge
  • water

This is how:

  • Plug sink

    Line sink with foil

  • pour in salt and baking soda

  • fill sink halfway with piping hot water

    Soak silver 10 minutes

  • rub silver in circular motions with sponge

  • rinse

  • dry with soft cloth


Since my item was so large, I had to rotate it and continue to fill my sink with hot water as it cooled. I also made a paste of baking soda and salt and applied it to my sponge for the hard to clean areas.


And voila, a little teeny bit of elbow grease and it's ready for a pretty red pointsettia plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment