Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Silhouettes

Before I had children of my own, I was lucky enough to have two nephews to love on. I also had all the time in the world to craft, and even made all of our Christmas gifts for a couple years.

One of my favorite projects were the silhouette cutouts I did of my oldest two nephews. They were so simple and took less than 20 min start to finish. I feel like silhouettes capture the sweetness of little ski sloped noses and double chins better than a photograph can. 



We're finally at the point of our home projects that we are giving the kids' rooms a facelift. When we moved back into our home in January, we just pushed furniture into the bedrooms and called it good. We still haven't hung any artwork or photos....but....we recently moved Carla into her own room, and Gino moved in with Sal. I've been a busy bee working on Carla's room, and my most recent naptime project happened to be a silhouette of her dainty little features and curls. 

She doesn't have a theme for her room–I'm not much of a themey person I guess, but I do love colors, so she's getting a neutral room with pops of color throughout. It makes it easy to change things as she grows. For her silhouette, I chose light pink and teal and placed it in a cheap white target frame. 

Want to make one?

Super easy.

Snap a side profile pic of your kid.

                     


Print it as 5x7 or 8x10

Cut out their profile.

                   


Trace onto card stock and cut out again. Using a glue stick, adhere the profile cutout to a contrasting piece of card stock which has been cut to fit your frame.

                      


Voila. All done.

                        
                                Sal, Carla, Gino (that's a mighty big melon!)

I loved the way it turned out so much that I made one of each boy for their room. 

2 comments:

  1. Claire has to get some hair before I'm willing to try this. Hah. But I do love this. It's adorable, and Carla's profile is darling.

    ReplyDelete