Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Where were you on 9/11?

Twelve years.

Hard to believe so much time has passed since I remember exactly where and what I was doing when I caught news of the World Trade Center being attacked. I was living with Jon & JP in Davis, and teaching preschool as I was muddling my way through life after divorce. As was my usual, I had just returned from my morning jog-away-the-hangover run at the track across from our house. That morning, Peezy had beat me to the shower, so I turned on my TV (which I rarely ever did) while I waited my turn for the bathroom. 

And there it was.

A trailer for a movie I would most definitely never watch. I mean, who wants to watch a movie about planes flying into the WTC? 

And then I realized....this was no trailer. This was the news. Like, real actual LIVE news.

This was happening. This just happened. 

I crumbled to the floor and I cried...and cried and cried ( I cried a lot those days). I must have cried loud enough because I heard a knock on my door and a "Cheezy, you alright in there?" I told him to come in, and we just both sat on my bed, tears in our eyes watching the news unfold. Soon after, my phone rang. It was my sister. Her husband's family lives on Long Island. She was shaken as they could not contact her in laws. I finally got myself together, showered and headed to work. Most parents did not bring their kids to school. I think we had 6 kids attend out of 28 in our preschool room. It was eerie. 

I remember thinking that the whole world sucked, and wondering what would come next. Were the attacks over? Would California be next? 

But what happened in the days to come amazed me. 

Americans united. Firefighters and emergency crews risked their lives to find survivors. There was a renewed fighting spirit and pride amongst America as a whole. I'm proud to be an American and even more proud of those who risk their lives every single day for our freedoms. We may have our problems, but believe me when I say, there is no other country I would rather call home. 

To all of the fallen heroes and civilians we lost on 9/11....

We will never forget. 


Where were you on 9/11/01? Can anyone else recall it like it was yesterday?

1 comment:

  1. Yes just like it was yesterday. I was renting a room in a families house. I was asleep and my mom called me on the phone. I turned on the tv and watched and watched. I was late to gym thay morning for the toddler class. So was everyone else. We wondered if we should have class at all. We just let the kids play while we turned on the radio to keep up with what was going on. The next week is a blur but I do remember the feelings. Those of pride, honor, respect amd love for our country and citizens. We decorated our homes, cars, the gym, ourselves in the red white and blue!
    We will never forget.

    ReplyDelete