Monday, November 23, 2015

DIY Mercury glass


I've seen tons of Mercury glass in the holiday catalogs I've received. Everyone from Pottery barn to Ballard designs seems to have some for sale. Heck, even my local Joanns has Mercury glass mason jars for $3.99 each. 

While I could just buy them, I am always a fan of DIY projects-especially for holiday decor. I searched and compared many Pinterest how-to's before deciding on my method. 

Most of the Pinterest DIY Mercury glass tutorials suggest Krylon Looking glass spray, but at $11.99 a can, I just couldn't. I am all about cheap. 

I had some shiny gold spray paint leftover from Carla's room (I sprayed a paper mache letter and her mirror frame gold) and decided I'd give it a go. I bought a few clear votives from the dollar tree and rushed home in anticipation of an afternoon project. 

Of course Gino decided he wasn't tired and didn't need a nap, so he hung out eating puffs in his high chair while I busted this project out in less than 10 minutes. 

So, here's how I did it. Sorry for the lack of photos. 

Mask off outside of your glass. Put tape around the outside rim of them ass to catch any rogue drips and wrap glass in paper to avoid overspray. The paint gets sprayed inside the glass on this project. 

Next, get your windex spray handy. Mist the inside of your glass. Both big and small drops are good, as are streaks. 

While the windex is still wet and in droplet form on your glass, spray your gold paint over it. Most will run off and pool on the bottom. That's okay. Turn your glass upside down and pour out any accumulated paint/water. 

Let it dry til you can touch it without it coming off on your fingers. Take a paper towel and scrub various areas inside the glass. 

Spray with gold paint again. 

Take off masking tape and paper and let dry. 



It's super easy. And fun. 

Add tea lights and voila. You've got a thanksgiving centerpiece that doesn't crowd the table. 

I'm already trying to come up with other uses for Mercury glass around here. Maybe Christmas ornaments next? How cool would a Mercury glass ornament wreath be?!

Happy Thanksgiving! 



No comments:

Post a Comment