Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pint Sized Fabric Bolts



{Drool worthy fabric storage solution}

I found myself an organizing project to do today ( as if i did't have enough already)..thanks to my sister-in-law finding this way to organize fabric over at the Little Green Bean blog.

Sadly, mine has been living in an under-bed storage container in our shoulda'-been-nursery turned guest room that rarely gets used as such, and is probably better suited as a craft room since I typically have to drag my projects out to the dining room table which doubles as my cutting/sewing/creating space.

I'd love to ditch the bed in the guest room and swap it for a pull out sofa ( so we can still have overnighters, and could be left for nursing babies if we ever get there) and get a nice L shaped desk with file cabinets on one end and an open book shelf with cubicles on the other end that could store cute buckets and boxes of goodies. In other words, if anyone is wondering what to buy me for my Birthday, the desk below from Pottery Barn would really put a smile on my face.


And, while I'm at it...one of these mid-century style Sleeper Sofas would look really swell in my dream craft room...So, while I should have been out enjoying our 90 degree weather, I found myself at the dollar tree purchasing 5 foam core boards ( Now that I think about it, I should have bought more)..for a grand total of $5. Michael's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's all sell foam core board as well, but a buck a board? AWESOME.

Each full size board was cut into 10 pint sized boards. I cut them with my ol man's pocket knife and my carpenter's square ( love that tool). Each board is 6" x10".


Here's the finished project.. It's all within eye sight and reach without having to move blankets and other random things from under the bed to see what I have to work with. I also re-purposed some photo boxes that I bought a while back into "Notions" and "Patterns" and "Ribbon", and stacked those at the end of my bolts as book ends of sorts.

This totally satisfied my OCD desires to organize my fabric better. Mission accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. I saw that project too and have thought about doing it, need to get moving make it happen...it is spring cleaning after all right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so easy to do. Took maybe an hour and a half to refold my fabric onto boards, but it also gave me time to clean out the small scraps that I will never use for anything.

    ReplyDelete