Saturday, January 8, 2011

They made it, why didn't she?

Within the past week, I know of two pregnancies that resulted in pre-term babies that ended up in the NICU.

One of them, a college bestie of mine was carrying twins, and thank goodness, she carried them long enough to deliver healthy baby girls, despite the early arrival. I am ever so happy that they're here, and to my friend..you're a trooper. The two months of bedrest grew some healthy babies. Welcome back to the World of being able to be a person who can do things again. I have so much admiration for her and hope that the girls come home soon so their family can be whole.

The other girl, I don't know personally, but my co-worker does. She ended up with pre-E and had to deliver at what I think to be 28 weeks. That's two weeks older than Denise...and she made it. Although small, they say the baby is doing quite well.

Hearing these stories, I just wish that we had a fighting chance to keep our little one alive. It's a terrible head game I play..wondering "what if", but stories of Josie Duggar ( born at 24 weeks) and our mail lady's granddaughter ( also born at 24 weeks) make me think that if only we knew that my body was not going to allow for further growth, maybe we could have gotten her lungs ready and delivered early and had her with us today.

Please don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of the risks of delivering a micro-preemie and would never wish to do such a thing under normal circumstances, however, I regret that fact that I never got to give her the chance at life outside the womb..If others could make it, why couldn't she?

We will never know the answer to this question, and I can only hope that any future pregnancies get me to viability and a live baby. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Brie... I know there is nothing any of us can say to make it easier. What-if mind games are the worst, aren't they? How do you not ask yourself that about a million things? Especially one so life changing. I pray that this year is a year of peace for you. In everything and all that 2011 brings you. you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking on what if sucks but it's sometimes hard not to do. Just want to send you some love.

    ReplyDelete