Saturday, June 26, 2010

Wedding Cake: Day 1

My sister came over at 9:30 a.m. to get started baking a red velvet and cream cheese 3 tier wedding cake with me this morning. We have been anticipating this challenge for months, and today was THE day to get it done. We started off laughing, joking, picture taking...and then...It was one disaster after another. After spending 4 hours on the 12 inch round, we trashed it..There was no saving it, as the cream cheese in the frosting caused the cake layers to slide apart which would have caused each tier to lean like the tower of Pisa.

We ended up trashing 2 cakes today..and throwing the cream cheese frosting idea out the window once my sister realized that the heat and cream cheese do not mix. So, unfortunately, to save the cake and make one that will look and taste nice tomorrow, we made buttercream frosting to frost the remaining cakes.

Today was the worst day of baking, ever.

Stay tuned for round TWO tomorrow..Everything will come together and it's going to be gorgeous!

2 comments:

  1. Holey toledo.. it was a DAY..wasn't it?

    Thank you for being my right hand girl!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping that the cakes you trashed were inedible...it breaks my heart to think of even half-ass red velvet cake being thrown out ;) I'm totally hating this diet that I'm on and should stay away from all blogs talking about any sweets!

    ReplyDelete