Thursday, March 16, 2017

Babies no more

You guys.

For the first time in six years, we don't have any babies in our house.

No more babies! This is 2, 3 & 5!

Gino is on the cusp of two, and I'm asking myself, "When on Earth did that happen?" and, " Was I there?"

It's a little surreal.

I can't even remember the last time I stepped foot in Babies R Us. That place was like my second home for a while after we moved back to the states. We were constantly buying formula, diapers, carriers, jumpers, sippy cups, bottles, mess mats, carseats upon carseats an well, you get the picture.
A lone high chair and a boppy pillow that he lounges on are the last standing evidence of anything baby around here. The bottles and teething toys, push walkers and bottles of puffs are all gone. Long gone.

With his favorite piece of comfort. The Thumb.

As we enter what's commonly known as the "terrible twos" with Gino, I'm buckling up and holding on tight, cause I'm pretty sure he's going to take us for one heck of a ride. While he still enjoys snuggling and laying claim on his mama's lap, he is also VERY opinionated and stubborn. Maybe it's a third child thing, but this boy knows how to assert himself with some pretty solid moves. He's learning about time outs on a daily basis, and my mantra is '"Stay consistent. It WILL pay off.", even if I have trouble believing it in the moment.

Carla consoling G in our time out corner
While much of my day is spent policing kids over toy sharing and smack downs over the last Cheezits or yogurt pouch, my favorite part of the day is watching Gino run to the door when we hear Nick roll up the driveway. He's almost always the first to greet his dad with a great big "DAAAAAAAAAD!" said with such enthusiasm and pure happiness.

Dad's home!
Some of Gino's favorite activities as of late have been trampoline jumping, jumping off furniture, crib climbing and water play. Since he mastered the climb very early in life ( he learned to scale our eleven foot retaining wall at 15 months old), he thinks nothing of climbing our kitchen counter to play with the sink faucet. He recently discovered that the nozzle come off and turns into a sprayer hose. I may or may not have ended up drenched more than once as I ran to turn the faucet off a time or two. I'm sure it will happen a few more times before his infatuation with water faucets comes to an end.



While I will miss having a baby around the house, I am excited for what the future holds for this family of ours. As the kids get older, a lot of the stuff we like to do will become a whole lot easier. Before long, nap times will be a past time, and we will be able to plan outings that go all day without fear of overtired meltdowns. We will be able to take trips and not require a pack and play or stroller. I'll be able to sign all of the kids up for activities, and nobody will be left on the sidelines simply because they are too young.

This is all good stuff.

Really, really GOOD stuff...

Welcome to TWO Gino Mario!

No comments:

Post a Comment